Librarian for the Sciences
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- 24 Nov 2022
- End of advertisement period
- 24 Dec 2022
- Contract Type
- Fixed Term
- Full Time
- Apply(This will open in a new window from which you will be automatically redirected to an external site after 5 seconds)
The NYU Abu Dhabi Library invites applications for a Librarian for the Sciences to work in a highly collaborative, innovative, and forward-looking setting. Reporting to the Coordinator of Library Instruction and Associate Academic Librarian for the Sciences and Engineering at NYUAD, the position plays a key role in the educational mission of NYU Abu Dhabi by providing dynamic and enthusiastic service to students, faculty, and researchers with a special focus on research in the sciences (biology, chemistry, physics, computer science, mathematics, psychology and the University’s growing STEM graduate programs). The role involves reference, teaching, collection development, and partnering with our diverse student and faculty body on innovative research initiatives. Program development and participation in tiered information literacy programs are required.
The librarian will serve as a resource for students and faculty working with data and scholarly resources common to science research, and as a partner with the other liaison librarians and related University departments. The incumbent will develop creative strategies to understand the information needs of the Sciences division, build partnerships with faculty, and actively engage in outreach to sustain strong, consistent, and effective communications between the Library, the division, and its affiliated programs. This position participates in the development of programmatic support of scholarly communication services as they relate to the undergraduate and growing graduate science programs, providing research and instruction support to faculty and students in their use. The librarian will develop and maintain print and electronic subject-related collections to support teaching, learning, and research needs of students and faculty. Collaborative work with colleagues at NYU New York, NYU Shanghai, and across NYU’s global network is an essential function of the role. Librarians at NYUAD engage in community and professional service and pursue an active scholarly agenda, including publication and research.
The initial appointment will be for three years and is renewable, contingent on job performance and active professional engagement. Rank depends on professional background and experience.
Established in partnership between New York University (NYU) and the emirate of Abu Dhabi, over the last decade, NYUAD has assembled a remarkable community of scholars, students, researchers, artists, inventors, and others who have contributed to the growth of the UAE’s capital as a global hub of knowledge and culture while establishing a new model of higher education for today’s complex world.
NYUAD is animated by inspiring and diverse faculty, students, and staff working together in an exciting and dynamic city. As an international center of excellence in teaching and research, the Unitersity’s goal is to attract outstanding faculty and staff who are leaders in their fields, encouraging them to create programs that draw outstanding students and provide an intellectually rich environment.
NYUAD students come from more than 126 countries, with no single nationality exceeding more than 15 percent of the total student population. Likewise, our over 320 faculty members represent more than 45 nationalities and bring a global perspective to their classrooms and research projects. NYUAD is committed to building and strengthening a university-wide culture of inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity (IDBE), which is fundamental to the University’s commitment to excellence. Visit the website for more information on NYUAD’s commitment to IDBE and how these values are fundamental to our mission.
Students are drawn from among the world’s best. They are bright, intellectually passionate, and committed to building a campus environment anchored in mutual respect, understanding, and care. The NYUAD undergraduate student body has garnered an impressive record of scholarships, graduate-school admissions, and other global honors. Graduate education is an area of growth for the University; the current graduate student population of over 100 students is expected to expand in the next decade as we develop new graduate programs.
Working for NYUAD
At NYUAD, we recognize that Abu Dhabi is more than where you work; it’s your home. In order for you to thrive, the University offers a comprehensive benefits package. This starts with a generous relocation allowance, educational assistance for your dependents, access to health and wellness services, and more. NYUAD is committed to faculty and staff success throughout the academic trajectory, providing support for ambitious and world-class research projects and innovative, interactive teaching approaches. Support for dual-career families is a priority. Visit our website for more information on benefits for you and your dependents.
- ALA (American Library Association) accredited degree or institutions recognized by ALA as having a formal accreditation process.
- Academic background in the sciences
- Demonstrated experience with or knowledge of science research methodologies
- Demonstrated ability to plan, design, implement and assess science-related library resources and programs for diverse populations
- Coursework and/or experience with scientometrics, science publishing, and Open Science
- Coursework and/or experience with library resources relevant to the research, teaching, and learning of science
- Demonstrated experience in building programs to support campus needs
- Demonstrated experience working in a university and/or research library
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated aptitude and enthusiasm for instruction and outreach
- Demonstrated commitment to building inclusion, diversity, belonging, and equity in professional practice
- Demonstrated aptitude for teamwork, flexible accommodation of a changing environment, and history of collegiality
- Degree in the Sciences (Bachelor's level and higher).
- Experience conducting library workshops to the sciences
- Coursework and/or experience with conducting systematic reviews
- Experience with using the ACRL Framework for Information Literacy
- Experience working in a culturally diverse environment
To be considered for this position, please submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- List of 3-5 references to be contacted at a later date.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and continue until the position is filled. We anticipate the successful candidate being appointed during the academic year 2022-2023.
Join NYU Abu Dhabi, an exceptional place for exceptional people.
NYUAD values diversity, inclusion, belonging, and equity; such principles are fundamental to the university's commitment to excellence. NYUAD is an equal-opportunity employer. The University particularly welcome applications from members of traditionally underrepresented groups, women, and UAE nationals. Multidisciplinary research and exceptional teaching in a highly diverse and inclusive campus community are hallmarks of the University’s mission.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
For people in the EU, click here for information on your privacy rights under GDPR: www.nyu.edu/it/gdpr
NYU is an equal opportunity employer committed to equity, diversity, and social inclusion.