Climate change: Carmarthenshire school's zero-carbon secondary bid

Mr Chriswick said slotxo the school hoped it could be a "pilot case" and the first of many schools to become carbon-neutral.

But he admitted the school had an advantage, with the building being only five years old.

Neil Lewis, manager of Carmarthenshire Energy which has collaborated with the school, said: "We want the school spending their money on education, not on energy bills.

"So we're working on plans to create a sustainable school for the future in Ysgol Bro Dinefwr, where the business model stacks up and we can demonstrate the value of that model to other schools in Carmarthenshire and further afield."

The Welsh government set the goal for all public bodies, including schools, to be carbon-neutral by 2030 - just nine years away.

But Dr Lewis believes more urgent action is required.

"I think a cultural shift needs to happen in public bodies. It's all very well to declare a climate emergency, but you've got to act on that with a sense of urgency," he said.

"From my point of view for someone who's been doing this job for 10 years, I'm not detecting the level of urgency that climate change requires."

A Welsh government spokesman said: "It is absolutely right to say that we need a Team Wales approach to tackling climate change, one where we all work together and play our part.

"We recently published our public sector net zero reporting guide to estimate baseline emissions, identify priority sources and to monitor progress towards meeting the target collective ambition of a carbon neutral public sector by 2030."